Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 18:58:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Threads goals  version II

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Nate Williams wrote:

> > ---Possible  system design goals of system threads support --
> > --- Note just becasue something is in this list doesn't mean that
> > it will be done, just that it's going o be carried forward to
> > further discussion.
> >
> > 1/ Multiple independent 'threads of control' within a single process
> >   at user level. The most basic quality of threads.
> >
> > 2/ Ability to simultaneously schedule M threads over N Processors.
> >  2A/ ability to tune and control the above..
> >
> > 3/ One blocking thread cannot block another thread.
> >         Blocking of one thread does not imply that other threads be
> > blocked.
>
> How about instead of 'cannot' we use the word 'does not necessarily'
> block another thread, and then append 'unless it does using programatic
> means'.
>
> Cannot implies some sort of bad thing.

I'm trying to say that "just because one thread blocks, doesn't mean that
the others can't keep running"!

Will that do?

> > 4/ All threads see the same address space (exactly).
>
> I like this.
>
> > 5/ All threads share the same file resources.
>
> How about 'process' resources instead?  It's more than files that they
> share...

4/ All threads in a processs see the same address space (exactly).

5/ All threads in a process share the same system resources.

> > 10/ Quick access to curthread and thread specific data.  We shouldn't
> >        have to enter the kernel to get this.  This should also be true
> >        for threads spread across multiple [lightweight] processes.
>
> The last sentence is redundant, since threads are by definition
> lightweight processes. :)

10/ Quick access to curthread and thread specific data.

> > 11/ Ability for the threads library to cancel/terminate a thread
> >        blocked in the kernel.
>
> See previous email.

See previous clarification.. :-)

I think a way to ask a thread to 'wake up and back out' is what's
required.