Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 1996 17:12:30 -0300 (EST)
From:      Luiz de Barros <luiz@mirage.nlink.com.br>
To:        "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
Cc:        Chris Peltier <CPELTIER@iectech.com>, "'FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.org'" <FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.org>, "'FreeBSD-Hardware@FreeBSD.org'" <FreeBSD-Hardware@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Comtrol Rocketports

On Sun, 28 Apr 1996, Eric L. Hernes wrote:

I have seen this in the postings, but as it was almost a month
ago i thought maybe they have forgotten your company.
If you have any news about this, please let me know. A FreeBSD driver
of comtrol would make our life quite easier here.

> check the hardware archives for a posting
> I send a while back.  Here's my cliff-notes:
>
> Comtrol was drooling over a contract with
> lodgenet, we buy 75-100 8port serial cards
> a month.  I told the salesman that without
> a FreeBSD driver, their cards were totally
> useless to us, he said that he'd look into
> it and see if an engineer would port the
> bsdi driver to fbsd.  That was over a month
> ago, I'm still waiting...
>
> but on the good side... If you want a serial
> card in the moderate to high performance
> range, check out Stallion Technologies.  They
> have several cards that work well, and on top
> of it, they're the only serial board vendor
> to have a FreeBSD driver actually written
> by one of their employees.

I will check the specifications of these boards.

> other intelligent cards that we have drivers
> for are cyclades, digi 8e, riscom, and specialix.
> did I miss any?

I use cyclades here with success.

> I've seen the cyclades work.  We're not
> having any obvious problems with the digi, but
> it's just a 9600-38400bps hardware controller.
> I haven't tested the riscom or specialix.
As we would like to use the boards for handling modem calls at 33600bps
digi would be a bad choice for us.

Luiz de Barros
Netlink Internet Services