Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 1997 17:59:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "matthew c. mead" <mmead@goof.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd as a news server?

On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, matthew c. mead wrote:

>     I've recently configured a 200Mhz PPro on a TYAN motherboard
> with 128M ram and 45G of ultra wide scsi drives (5 9G drives
> total) hanging off an Adaptec 3940UW.  Anyway, I initially had
> forgotten to up the per user process limit and open files limit.
> This thing's running innd.  Anyway, I started getting messages
> about too many open files and no more processes (when many users
> connected at once).  So I changed CHILD_MAX and OPEN_MAX to 1024
> each.  Since then, expire has been taking over 18 hours to run.
> It seems to have started after the reboot that changed the
> kernel.  Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?  What
> have others used for these limits to get better performance?
> Thanks in advance!

  You don't have enough disks to get really good performance.  18 hours
sounds about right for 45Gb on only 5 disks.

  I'm working on setting up a news server with a 11 disks (mostly 2 GB),
and according to my info, that barely enough.

  Also, putting AHC_TAGENABLE in your kernel may speed things up a bit
(see "man ahc"), if it doesn't crash your system.

> -matt
>
> --
> Matthew C. Mead
>
> mmead@goof.com