Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:20:20 -0800
From:      "Todd Meister" <todd@lmi.net>
To:        outlawtx@bga.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: starting apache

On 21 Mar 00, at 22:45, outlawtx@bga.com wrote:
> 	However,  I can not access Apache from any other machine on the LAN or
> from the internet.
>
> 	Also, "ps aux" reveals no "httpd" in the list.
>
> 	What's wrong?

The answer is in the error log file for apache.  This may be located
in /usr/local/apache/logs/error-log (or some similar filename), or it
might be in /var/log/(something_involving_apache).  This depends
on how it was installed.

You should be able to find out via strings and grep:

strings `which httpd` | grep -i HTTPD_ROOT
gives you the default ServerRoot

The command
strings `which httpd` | grep -i DEFAULT_ERRORLOG
gives you the default location of the error logfile.

Combine the two, and you should find your error log, which will
explain your problem (usually something to do with httpd.conf,
where it is, where it ain't, or what it says that it shouldn't).

There's a simpler answer, but I'm on a Windoze box right now, and
have no access to the default port install of apache.

Once you find out the error, if you're still confused,
http://www.apache.org/httpd has wonderful, searchable
documentation (click on Server Documentation -> Search for key
words).  If you're still confused, send me or the mailing list the error.

-Todd