Date:      25 Apr 2003 23:41:18 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        stacey@vickiandstacey.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Gnome <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gnome-2.2 Terminal *really* slow / weird since upgrading from Gnome-1.4

--=-ZMNGtzrloizqQzWZ+kQ0

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 19:57, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> >=20
> So is there some "known issue" with the new gnometerminal or something?
> I'm happy to leave things as they are - for two reasons:

Yes, it's a known issue with vte.

>=20
> 1] If there are plans for improvements in Gnome-2.4 (that will be
> catering for the current gnometerminal build) then I'd prefer not to
> complicate matters (or, do I misunderstand?) for progressing along that
> road-map

It's really up to you.  I'm planning to drop libzvt support in GNOME 2.4
(as GNOME is dropping it), but it won't matter if you're using it now.=20
The upgrade will simply ignore the request for libzvt support.

>=20
> 2] Oddly enough the best performing of the lot (my machines) is the puny
> P2 366MHz 128 RAM laptop that I've recently built. Its fine, so I feared
> that it might be something in the builds for the others. But they *were*
> all built the same way:

vte is slower than libzvt, even on my P4 2.4 GHz with 2 GB of RAM.  The
fonts you choose as well as the terminal size and background parameters
can help things.  My terminals are 80x24, white on black, with Bitstream
Vera Mono 11 point Bold.  I use gnlus avec color and FreeBSD ls sans
color.

In order to speed up certain things, I build with (build options) >&
logfile so as not to echo characters to the terminal.

Joe