Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2000 17:22:19 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keeping using locally modified source

On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 19:59:39 EST, James Howard wrote:

> The problem is how do we keep up with -STABLE afterwards?  Using
> CVSup, out changes will get clobbered every time.  Is there a facility
> where you can keep up with the source but let local modifications
> through?

CVS does this beautifully.  The only problem is that you need access to
a repo.  If you were closer, I'd offer you anoncvs.  Try to find an
anoncvs server near you.

The most viable alternative I've used is a shell script that patches the
checked out sources with copies of patches in a specified directory.

This worked well for me until my local guru pointed out that what
you want to do here is _exactly_ what CVS does for you.  CVSup was
not designed for synchronizing checked out sources (although it has
certainly become very popular for just that).  Here, you're running into
a limitation of CVSup.

Of course, since I haven't used CVSup in a long time, it's quite
possible that jdp has added CVS-like merging and conflict resolution to
CVSup. ;-)

Hopefully, you either have good bandwidth or lots of disk.  If you have
good bandwidth, use CVS.  If you have lots of disk, use CVSup to keep a
local repo and use CVS to synchronize your checked out sources against
that repo.

Ciao,
Sheldon.