Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:01:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        jay@eziba.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS v3 server locking fails

> We're trying to get an Oracle db running on Solaris 2.6 to work with a
> 4.3-Stable (7/24) system as the underlying filesystem via NFS. The
> -Stable box has an ATA raid subsystem. The problem is that over NFS v3,
> the Solaris system fails to acquire the lock, and NFSv2, though it
> works, isn't really an option since it's (a) an order of magnitude
> slower and more importantly, (b) we have files > 2gig.

Why want you to do this? My experience says: DONT. And if you think about costs
(using an IDE-raid): DONT.
The problem is with the Oracle db that it is not nearly fast enough with NFS
(have done only little tests with NFSv3; sure about NFSv2). Another point is:
How do make sure that your network connection is permanent?
Have you tested recovery of a database where network-outage happend in the
middle of the update (eg pull the plug)? It is hard enough using only the local
filesystem.

Side-question: Why do you use Oracle databasefiles > 2gb? If you not have data
per tablespace in the three-digit GB range, go with smaller ones. On the most
(in this case HP-UX) you will get some percent more performance .. and a little
admin overhead.

My solution would be: Take some money and buy for the Sun more/bigger
SCSI-discs.

> Are there any known problems with NFSv3 locking? If so, any know
> workarounds?
>
> /etc/rc.conf has
>
>   nfs_server_enable="YES"
>   rpc_lockd_enable="YES"