Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 00:00:13 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        cgd@netbsd.org (Chris G. Demetriou), dg@root.com, Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley-185-114.res.iastate.edu>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel traps on boot..

> causes "diagnostic panics" is not a popular option.  If the code was on
> a reasonably common path, it would prevent developers working on
> unrelated issues from doing anything useful until the problem was
> resolved (and possibly slow the adoption of the resolution).  This

I have to agree with this.  I've been tracking NetBSD-current on my
alpha as well, and the amount of time the tree doesn't build because
someone turned -Werror on in the name of pursuing some abstract goal
of perfection is just silly.  OK, I used a world like "silly" and
Jason is going to flame me for that, but I really can't think of a
better term.  I finally gave up on trying to build NetBSD-current
sources because it was just too difficult from day to day and if I'm
trying to sync up with someone else's work, the last thing I want to
have to spend time on is prowling through the Makefiles trying to find
and stomp out the overzealous compiler flags.

To quote someone from history: The better should never become the
enemy of the good.

- Jordan