Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 06:30:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ps: badlist and other problems

Hi,

I did an install of 3.1-19990408-STABLE on a fresh machine. It went fine
without any errors. I believe ps was working at this time.

I built a custom kernel and rebooted. Later, I noticed ps was broken.

# ps
ps: bad namelist
# w
w: /dev//umount: /proc: not currently mounted
umount:: No such file or directory
w: /dev// /var: not currently mounted
umount: /usr: n: No such file or directory
 6:27AM  up 1 min, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
USER		TTY		FROM	LOGIN@	IDLE	WHAT
root		v0		-	6:27AM	-	w
#

I've seen that kind of behavior before and it's usually when I rebuild
world and forget to make a new kernel. However, in this case, I haven't
touched the source except to compile a kernel.

Anyway, just to make sure something funky didn't happen last time, I
recompile a new kernel. Reboot. Same ps deal.

So I cvsup to -stable, make buildworld, make installworld and for make
depend/make/install a new kernel. Reboot. Same problem with ps.

From here I really have no idea where to go.

Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? Or at least what I can do to
get more info?

Thanks. :/ sigh

---
Jesse <j@lumiere.net>