Date:      Sat, 06 Jul 2013 21:29:34 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?B?UmFkaW8gbcWCb2R5Y2ggYmFuZHl0w7N3?= <radiomlodychbandytow@o2.pl>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net>
Cc:        Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>, d@delphij.net, marck@rinet.ru, avg@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-fs Digest, Vol 524, Issue 10

On 05/07/2013 12:30, freebsd-fs-request@freebsd.org wrote:

>> > Triple no. Biggest difference in lzjb favor was at zvol with Mac OS
>> > X Snow Leo.
>> >
>> > Maybe it's just because recordsize is too small on zvols? Anyway
>> > the difference was like a 1% or 2%. Can't remember but can retest.
> Hmm that's weird.  I haven't tried Mac iSCSI volumes but do have tried
> Windows iSCSI volumes, and lz4 was a win.
>
> It may be helpful if you can post your 'zfs get all <zvol name here>'
> output so we can try to reproduce the problem at lab?
I guess this is mostly about record size. LZJB seems to have been
designed for 4K buffers, works well for 8K, but then compression ratio
basically flats out, which is why in general it performs badly.
LZ4 has been designed for megabytes of data (no more no less) and while
it scales well to 128K, they are rather close at 8K and I don't find it
surprising that LZJB wins from time to time.

https://extrememoderate.wordpress.com/2011/08/14/synthetic-test-of-filesystem-compression-part-1/
--
Twoje radio