Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:11:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Ben=20Craig?= <bencraig@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NAT Help

Hi,

I'm trying to get NAT up and running on my FreeBSD
4.7R gateway machine and have hit a bit of a wall.
Have looked around online for FAQs and other help and
haven't really been able to isolate the problem this
way.  If anyone can offer advice, I would be most
appreciative.

I have a FreeBSD machine configured as a gateway for a
LAN.  The BSD machine has two NICs (fxp0 and vr0).
fxp0 is connected to a router via ethernet, which in
turn is connected to the Net via ADSL.  The router is
very basic and doesn't have all of the functions we
require, hence the BSD box being the gateway.

vr0 is connected to a hub for the LAN, which all uses
internal 10.0.0.x IP addressing.  The FreeBSD box
provides DHCP for this range.  All of this is working
correctly.  We also have a couple of external IPs
which I would like to map onto a couple of servers on
the private LAN, and herein lies the problem.  I just
can't seem to get NAT working to redirect these IPs
from the BSD machine to the relevant internal IP.

On the BSD machine, I've compiled a kernel with the
following options:

options IPFIREWALL
options IPDIVERT
options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE

The following options exist in rc.conf:

gateway_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="OPEN"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="fxp0"
natd_flags="-redirect_address 10.0.0.2 x.x.x.x
-redirect_address 10.0.0.3 x.x.x.x"

(where x.x.x.x is of course the external IP).

rc.conf also contains the following ipconfig settings
for the external IP addresses (of which there are 5).

ifconfig_fxp0_alias0="inet x.x.x.x netmask
255.255.255.248"
ifconfig_fxp0_alias1="inet x.x.x.x netmask
255.255.255.248"
ifconfig_fxp0_alias2="inet x.x.x.x netmask
255.255.255.248"
ifconfig_fxp0_alias3="inet x.x.x.x netmask
255.255.255.248"
ifconfig_fxp0_alias4="inet x.x.x.x netmask
255.255.255.248"

alias0 is used as the IP address for the gateway
machine and my intention is to redirect traffic on the
remaining four addresses to other machines on the LAN.
 This is where it falls down and I'm stumped.

Regards,

Ben Craig.

=====
--