Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:32:53 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Nathan Vidican" <webmaster@wmptl.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Sendmail gone crazy, proliferating emails

Hi Nathan,

  I can't tell you WHY it happened, but I CAN tell you
WHAT happened.  First of all, it wasn't Sendmail that
duplicated the mail, it was cucipop.  I'll illustrate
this step by step

1) message recieved by sendmail, written to user mailbox.

2) cucipop gets a "check mail" request from a pop client

3) cucipop moves the user mailbox file to a temp file to
work on

4) cucipop transmits the message to the pop client

5) client successfully recieves the pop message and sends a
delete command back to cucipop

6) cucipop attempts to delete the message, is unable to do
so, spits out an error message

7) cucipop moves the temp file which still contains the
message that was supposed to be deleted, back to the user mailbox,
then exits.

8) User mailbox is now in exactly the same state as it was in
before step #2 and after step #1

9) step #2 is repeated

10) step #3 is repeated

11) step #4 is repeated - now a second copy of the message has been
transmitted to the client

12) step #5 is repeated

13) step#6 is repeated.

and so on and so on, for ever and ever, each time the mail client
gets another duplicate of the mail message.

I could speculate that the mailserver ran out of lock resources
for some reason, perhaps recompiling with MAXUSERS set higher would
help.