Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2006 18:20:22 -0500
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror Cannot add disk ad5 to gm0 (error=22)

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 12:27:59AM +0200, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> Rick C. Petty wrote:
>
> >One thing to note:  I
> >recommend putting the disks on separate channels so if a reinit fails, you
> >don't lose both disks.  I hate it when manufacturers put two SATA ports on
> >the same ATA channel..  Cheap for them, problematic for you.
>
> I dont understand hardware much, but SATA controller is set to IDE mode
> in BIOS and disks are on ATA channel 2 as ad4 Master and ad5 Slave. If
> BIOS settings is changed to AHCI, dmesg shows two more ATA channels, ad4
> as ata2-master and second disk will be ad8 on ata4-master (without
> changing cables / connections). As I see same problem with disk
> disappearing with AHCI and IDE, I have decided to use IDE mode, which
> seems to me little bit faster in gmirror synchronization.

That's surprising (that it's faster).  In fact I would expect the reverse.

> Is there big difference between AHCI and IDE mode of SATA controller?

Not quite sure, but apparently your AHCI puts the two SATA channels on
separate ATA channels.  I've had better luck with that, in general.

> As I see in dmesg, controller is Intel ICH7 *SATA300* but disks are
> SATA150, I this cause some troubles?

It shouldn't.  The disks should perform at SATA150.  Except that you use
IDE mode, so I suspect they really run at UDMA100 (as your dmesg showed
before).

> root@track ~/# gmirror deactivate -v gm0 ad5
> No such provider: ad5.
> root@track ~/# gmirror forget -v gm0
> Done.
> root@track ~/# gmirror insert -v gm0 ad5
> Done.
>
> root@track ~/# gmirror status
>       Name    Status  Components
> mirror/gm0  DEGRADED  ad4
>                       ad5 (0%)

As I expected.  Maybe this isn't "proper" but if you're stuck resyncing the
entire mirror anyway...

> Yes, I read many post about similar problems. I have similar problem on
> 4 machines, so I think this is not cable problem. Maybe bad controller
> in whole serie of ASUS RS120, or something like this. (4 of 4 same
> machines has similar problems with disk subsystem)

Sometimes replacing the cables seems to help me, other times it doesn't.
I suspect cosmic radiation or some phase of the moon.

-- Rick C. Petty