Date:      Sun, 6 Dec 1998 19:54:53 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Debugging after crash/reboot -- techniques wanted

Conrad Sabatier wrote:

> In other words, I'd like to know more about how others monitor/debug their
> systems, what methods/techniques are commonly used, how to get critical
> information logged properly, etc.

Check the "dumpdev" setting in rc.conf, it specifies where kernel crash
dumps should go. This _must_ be one of your swap drives, and the swap
drive must be big enough to have the content of your physical memory
dumped onto it. To enable it without rebooting, use dumpon(8).

After that, when your machine crashes, the crash dump will be saved into
/var/crash when it comes back up, along with a copy of the kernel which
generated it. These can be inspected later with `gdb -k'.

If this happens a lot, you should generate a debugging kernel with
`config -g'. Check the handbook, section ``Debugging a Kernel Crash Dump
with KGDB'' for more info on all of this.

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk

send a blank message to ben+pgp@scientia.demon.co.uk for PGP key