Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 16:49:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org (Daniel M. Eischen)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and VME

> Has anybody ever done or considered using FreeBSD for VME IO
> solutions?

A Motorola engineer has used FreeBSD drivers and Interrupt handling
on a Motorolla 88k RT system with a VME bus.  He wrote his VME
drivers, and it's not the full OS, so he can't give out the code.
I discissed the VME interrupt handling in detail with him at one
time, but I'm probably a bit rusty on it now (though I saved the
discussion).

If you get tot he point where you are implementing VME handling,
then I can probably talk you around one or two pitfalls if you
need it (you'll probably know much more about VME than me by then,
though).

> The VMEbus is interfaced to the PCI bus by the Universe VMEbus
> interface chip made by Tundra (formerly Newbridge Microsystems).
> Luckily, all the manuals for the chip are available at Tundras
> web site (http://www.tundra.com/Tundra/Products/Bus/BPI/Universe.html).
>
> How hard would it be to create a VMEbus driver for this?  The project
> under consideration would only need to memory map VME devices, but
> having the ability to config a VME device at an address and VME
> interrupt priority/vector would be great for future work.

Several NetBSD ports use VME code; that would be a good basis for a start.

Unfortunately neither NetBSD nor FreeBSD have abstracted bus bridging
very well (IMO, anyway), so there will be mapping issues to fight
with.

Probably asking on one of the NetBSD lists for VME based systems
would be your next logical step.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---