Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 15:42:36 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        so@server.ms-agentur.de, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stable does not boot after make buildworld, ...  Was: HEADS UP!  Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yerkernels

A-Ha! Now we get closer to the problem... read on, suggestions follow...

"Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:

> Christoph Sold wrote:
> >
> > > Summary of Officially Sanctioned Update Procedure:
> > >
> > > make buildworld
> > > make buildkernel
> > > make installkernel
> > > shutdown (drop into single-user mode)
> > > make installworld
> > > mergemaster
> > > reboot
> > >
> > > Depart from the above procedure at your own risk. Thankyou :-)
> >
> > Been there, done that, to the last letter ('kay, I didn't type the
> > "(drop into single-user..." part). Fresh install from 4.0-Release,
> > CVSup'ed after the binutils were declared clean. The system panics when
> >
> > It seems to me there is something not working as intended.
> >
> > Can any helpful soul look at the stable build sequence shown and
> > determine why it crashes during loading linux.ko?
>
> Yes. After the above procedure, your new kernel will be installed under
> a different name, equal to the name of the kernel configuration file.
> When booting, the old /kernel will get loaded, and that one is
> incompatible with your newer modules.
>
> There are two ways around this:
>
> 1) Edit /boot/loader.conf and add the line kernel="XYZZY", where XYZZY
> is the name of your kernel.
> 2) See LINT (it's still LINT on -stable, right? :) for an option that
> let you override the name, so that XYZZY will install kernels named
> "kernel" again.

As I have written: I have followed this procedure to the point. An 'lo,
there was a kernel named (SURPRISE) GENERIC shamelessly sitting around
at root.

Can we safely

a) assume when building the default (GENERIC) kernel it should be
installed automagically so it boots automatically, and, if possible,
move the old kernel to kernel.old automagically?

b) make the build process so following the instructions to the point
   leads to a running system, automagically,
 or, alternatively
   change the build instructions to show the pitfalls more prominently?

IMHO, when big changes like aout-elf, or, recently, new tool chain tools
make changes to the build process unavoidable, /prominent/ hints for
stupid stable-only-readers like me should be placed everywhere*) -- in
case of aout->elf, I was warned, so that went through. This time I
plainly missed the warnings.

Just my .05 Euro
-Christoph Sold