Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 09:51:50 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, josb@cncdsl.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DJBDNS vs. BIND

At 6:41 PM -0500 3/5/01, Randell Jesup wrote:

>>  We in the unix world have a well-founded aversion to storing configuration
>>  information in binary data stores that can't be accessed via ed(1) when
>>  the system is in single-user mode.  If we wanted to stuff all the system
>>  configuration into such a black hole, we could've done it with DBM data-
>>  bases more than a decade ago, quite easily.

	IIRC, the cool thing about using Berkeley db (specifically, the
"Berkeley DB Transactional Data Store", see
<http://www.sleepycat.com/xactfeatures.html>) instead of dbm or
anything else that is freely available, is that virtually all the
information recorded in the database is in a format that is
relatively easily recoverable with tools that would be suitable for
use in single-user mode.

	Now, BINDv9 includes hooks to link to a different database
back-end than the one provided out-of-the-box, but these tools are
limited in scope and capabilities at the moment.  My understanding is
that they do not provide the level of performance or reliability that
is currently available with the built-in database methods, but that
this is something that will be improved in the near future.  Of
course, if you were to tie BIND into the "Berkeley DB Transactional
Data Store", you should have the best of both worlds, and the best
performance as well.

	Of course, you could also tie BINDv9 to other database
implementations, such as PostgreSQL or MaxSQL, and get a measure of
network scalability and high availability that you could not
otherwise get by tying everything down to a single host.

	Now, when are we going to see anything from The Great and Mighty
All Powerful Omniscient Dan that supports IPv6?  Provides proper
referrals when asked questions about zones outside of its purview?
Need I go on?