Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:26:57 +0300
From:      "Ivan Levchenko" <levchenko.i@gmail.com>
To:        "beno -" <purabachata@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Easy Question From Newbie

You need to either load the pf kernel module, which can be done by adding
pf_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf (you may also load the module
without rebooting like this:
kldload pf) If you use the module, then altq will not work for you.

Or you may build a new kernel with the following options:
device pf
device pflog
device pfsync

and for altq:
options         ALTQ
options         ALTQ_CBQ        # Class Bases Queuing (CBQ)
options         ALTQ_RED        # Random Early Detection (RED)
options         ALTQ_RIO        # RED In/Out
options         ALTQ_HFSC       # Hierarchical Packet Scheduler (HFSC)
options         ALTQ_PRIQ       # Priority Queuing (PRIQ)
options         ALTQ_NOPCC      # Required for SMP build

You should remove the things that you don't need.

For more info (probably should have started with this) go to
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls-pf.html

happy packet filtering!