Date:      Tue, 14 Jun 2011 17:12:05 +0200
From:      Per von Zweigbergk <pvz@itassistans.se>
To:        jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk usage and ZFS deduplication

14 jun 2011 kl. 17.06 skrev jhell:

>=20
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 09:19:32AM +0200, Per von Zweigbergk wrote:
>> I've been following the "Impossible compression ratio on ZFS" thread =
with some interest, and it made me ask myself this:
>>=20
>> Let us say we have a hypothetical zfs filesystem with the equally =
hypothetical files A and B. The filesystem has deduplication enabled. =
Both files have an apparent file size of 100 MB, but 50 MB of that data =
is common between the two files and thus can be deduplicated. This would =
mean that total disk usage would be 150 MB.
>>=20
>> If you use "du" to determine disk size for a deduplication, what =
would be the result? Which file would the common data be accounted to? =
Or would it be accounted to both files somehow, in part or in full?
>=20
> Logical answer would be that both files should be showing thier
> resulting size regardless of how ZFS processes them. Being deduped =
does
> not mean representing files to the user any different.

That would be the file size, yes, as opposed to the disk usage.=