Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 14:30:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        matra@diemme.it (matra)
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbie...

In a previous message, matra said:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Doug White wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, matra wrote:
> >
> > > Under Linux i have only to patch the kernel and recompile! Why have i to
> > > install and recompile everyting ?!..
> >
> > [soapbox on]
> > Because we do not do things the way Linux does.  FreeBSD is composed of
> > highly organized RELEASES.  One kernel version, one set of binaries, one
> > published install set. Not ten.  When you get the FreeBSD CDROM, you can
> > say, "This IS FreeBSD," not, "This is xyz's mishmash of FreeBSD."
>
> So have i to buy EVERY Walnut Creek CD to have a current and not obsolete
> FreeBSD box ?!

Nope. You can easily ftp from ftp.freebsd.org or dozens of mirror sites.

> My linux box has a 197mb /usr/src directory . Every time a new
> program/kernel etc/etc was announced ,i just ftp it . Why have i to wait
> WC's cds to have the newest system ?

You don't. Currently, on freebsd.org you can get 2.1.5, 2.1.6.1, 2.2 Beta,
3.0-current. And I'm sure others. Some of us just like the security of
having a CD.

> > Hope this helps you understand our way of doing things. :-)
>
> Yes , i understand . IMHO FreeBSD is too "Walnut Creek CD" oriented .
> I ran Linux for over 2 years buying only the first Slackware and upgrading
> my system from the net , every time i wanted .

You could easily do this with FreeBSD and sup.

> I hope that isn't a commercial alliance ...
>
> So i have to buy every WC's dists to stay "tuned" on FreeBSD!It is not a
> money affair for me ;The fact is that i HATE "mirrors" of other systems
> on my computer .I want to create my OWN dist.

You hate having other people having what you have on your machine? Strange.

--
Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left... right?