Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 1998 02:27:21 +0000
From:      "Paolo Di Francesco" <paipai@tin.it>
To:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Ultra] Compiler, again

> [Format autorecovered at freebie.lemis.com]
>
> On Wednesday, 25 November 1998 at 14:11:42 -0500, Jerry Hicks wrote:
> > Chuck Youse - Icon CMT Network Operations Center wrote:
> >> Use GNU make.
> >
> > Definitely good advice!

> I prefer GNU make to BSD make, but it's still not good advice.
> FreeBSD uses BSD make, and if we start requiring two different makes
> to build the product, we're going to have both procedural trouble and
> lots of resistance from the core team.

Well, onestly I don't know.... Can someone contact a member of the freeBSD core
team? Personally I don't think we'll have problems about this. We need
something to compile our (internal) code to do experiments and to build a
kernel. We can use Solaris or another OperatingSystem+compiler, the important
thing is that we must have an UltraSparc compiler. If we cannot do compiling
using the gcc, well we have no choose, we must use egcs.

In the future, we can use gcc if it will support UltraSparc, but now no egcs no
UltraFreeBSD. For the userland maybe we will have more problems. Anything will
be compiled with egcs if gcc does not support Ultra, and this means we cannot
distribute sources and the compiler, because we must use gcc for the userland.
(I think)

I'm trying to install egcs on my Intel box, and compile it as crosscompiler. I
hope to have it installed tomorow. (I'm cold, sorry.. 8((( )

P.S. Do experiments, use anything you want! But please document it! 8)

Ciao Ciao
       Paolo Di Francesco
   _
 ->B<-   All Recycled Bytes Message ...