Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:27:38 -0800
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordon@tetlows.org>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk mounting in recent Linuxes

--Apple-Mail-1--98589682

On Oct 13, 2007, at 6:31 PM, Eric Anderson wrote:

> Ivan Voras wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've installed a Linux (openSUSE) on a laptop and this is what I
>> got by
>> default in fstab:
>> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS5412_HP0400BEG1922A-part2 /
>>            ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 1
>> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS5412_HP0400BEG1922A-part4 /data
>>            ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2
>> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS5412_HP0400BEG1922A-part3 swap
>>            swap       defaults              0 0
>> A similar option (to use a device by id instead of location) also
>> exists
>> for network cards.
>> (This is just a "FYI" post, I'm not complaining :) ).
>

> I was actually wondering if we should start labeling our filesystems
> at newfs time in the installer for this type of setup.  There are a
> handful of potential 'gotchas' though.

The big gotcha with GEOM_VOL_FFS (I don't know if pjd@ ever addressed
this when he took it over) was that GEOM was undetermined in how it
handled labels that overlapped. My original thought was to use the
uuid field that I allocated in the FFS superblock (AFAIK, that's still
unused). Whatever the uuid of the root device is would dictate the
uuid for the system. Any volumes that didn't have the root uuid would
be separated by namespace. ie /dev/vol/<uuid>/root if you took the
root disk from another system and mounted on your system.

Of course, with the uuid moved to the filesystem, it actually gets
easier in some sense (how do you figure out which labeled filesystem
is your root filesystem if you have 2 labelled filesystems with the
same uuid), although the loader will probably have to send it as hint
to the kernel.

-gordon

--Apple-Mail-1--98589682
	name=PGP.sig