Date:      21 Jan 1999 22:08:08 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        "Joerg B. Micheel" <joerg@krdl.org.sg>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Mike Nguyen <mikenguyen@sprintmail.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/nsswitch.conf

"Joerg B. Micheel" <joerg@krdl.org.sg> writes:
> > consolidating all that config information in one place, such as
> > /etc/rc.conf, would be a good thing.
> Agreed, it really isn't such a good idea to clutter /etc/ with all
> those single line configuration files.

Actually, they did it for a reason, and it's not really a *bad*
reason. It makes automated administration a lot easier - e.g. writing
scripts that modify the system config etc. Solaris (and SysV in
general) is *very* geared towards automated adminning. That's not
necessarily a bad thing, if it's done properly, but I don't agree with
the way they chose to solve some of the problems that arise when you
do that.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no