Date:      Tue, 9 Oct 2001 19:41:53 +0400
From:      "Andrey Simonenko" <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
To:        "PetBuilder" <petbuilder@mediaone.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Basic Install Program List?

----- Original Message -----
From: PetBuilder <petbuilder@mediaone.net>
Newsgroups: lucky.freebsd.questions
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 8:16 PM
Subject: Basic Install Program List?

> Is there a list of what is installed in a "Standard" installatation of =
> "User", not including the ports we might add later in the install.
>
> For example I know the BIND, FTP & sh are installed, but what else? =
> Perl? If so what version?
>
> I look thru the book, but nothing losted the basic install programs

If you need something, then you should exactly know what you need.
So if you want to use named (BIND server), you can type "man named"
and check out if it is present on your system. Also your can type
something like "info program-name" or run "apropos keyword" and
see output of this command (don't forget to rebuild whatis-database).

To find something in ports collection:

$ cd /usr/ports
$ make search name=keyword
and/or