Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:29:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org, qa@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        re@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Testing guide for 4.5-PRERELEASE

Testing Guide for 4.5-RELEASE

As part of our on-going effort to improve the release engineering process,
Murray has asked me to post my guide to things that Real Need Testing in
the release candidate phase.  Below, I describe changes in 4.5-PRERELEASE
that we feel merit the most attention due to their involving substantial
changes to the system, or having arrived late in the development cycle
leading up to the release.  In general, our goal in the QA process is to
attempt to check a number of things:

(1) The system has not regressed with respects to stability, correctness,
    interoperability, or performance of features present in prior
    releases.

(2) New features result in the desired improvement in stability,
    correctness, interoperability, or performance.

To effectively determine this, it's desirable to test the system in a
diverse set of environments, applying a wide set of workloads, forcing the
system to operate both within and outside its normal specification.
Particular focus should often be placed on the continuing (or new)
capability of the system to perform correctly when used in concert with
systems from other vendors.

Features to explore carefully:

(1) Recent TCP changes, especially relating to the delayed ACK fix,
    congestion response, syncache, syncookies, increased socket buffer
    sizes, et al.  We're interested in testing interoperability with as
    many platforms as possible, demonstrating continued strong (and
    better) scalability and performance, and watching out for quirks
    (connection stalls, ...), not to mention crashes.  Jonathan Lemon was
    responding to a panic report on freebsd-current earlier today
    regarding a PCB call, which is something we should keep an eye on.  On
    the other hand, Y! is now deploying this code, and that should help
    test it a great deal.

(2) VFS/VM/NFS fixes.  We need to continue to test performance,
    correctness, and interoperability.  In particular, I'd like to see a
    lot of inter-platform performance testing (FreeBSD->Solaris, vice
    versa, etc).  We'd also like careful investigation of low-memory
    situations.

(3) FFS fixes.  We had some reports of deadlocks in FFS; it sounds like
    Matt Dillon has caught most of them, but combinations I'd particular
    like to see tested involve Quotas, Chroot, and NFS, under load, and
    involving memory mapping and heavy directory operations.

(4) NTP 4.1.  This is probably reasonable safe, but it doesn't hurt to do
    interop testing, especially on Alpha.

(5) SMBfs.  We need stability testing, mostly, I suspect.  Performance is
    probably not a large focus.  While SMBfs support has been available on
    -STABLE through a port previously, determining that the integration
    with the base system (especially the boot process) was done correctly
    is important.  Attempting to use SMBfs in /etc/fstab in a diskless
    environment might be one thing to explore, for example.

(6) Once the man page change goes in (which I think it should) we'll want
    some basic testing of the man command.

(7) cdboot.  Late in the release cycle, a new implementation of the
    CD-based boot loader was introduced.  This should generally improve
    support for booting or installing from CD, but this change requires
    testing on a variety of architectures and devices.

The release notes will always be a good place to look for things to test.
There are a number of new drivers, including if_em, which would probably
benefit from more exposure.  Please report bugs to the qa@FreeBSD.org
list, and/or via send-pr with a heads up to the qa list.