Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 11:44:32 -0500
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Jeremy L. Stock" <jstock@winterzone.com>
Subject:   Re: VMware networking question

> I'm not sure if I should ask here or in -questions. I'm having a problem
> with traffic to the outside world. I can ping the vmnet1 address of
> 192.168.254.1 and my real IP but that's all I can do. I'm using
> 192.168.254.1 as my gateway and 192.168.254.2 as the IP in '98.
I don't know, I think you are have some troubles with NAT configuration.
Try to run tcpdump on the vmnet1 and on your external interface and check
the how your NAT doing own work.

Also be sure, that you are have enabled IP gatewaing in your box.

> I have setup masquerading under Linux before and I tried to use nat for
> this, but I haven't been successful yet. I'd appreciate any pointers.
If you are need communicate only in your local ethernet network, try to
apply the Mark's tips described in the message from Dec 15.

--
Vladimir Silyaev