Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:07:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <fehaar@infopaq.dk>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mod_php4 port woes...

[CC: -ports]
Thom,

Some time in the recent past Thomas Gravgaard scribbled:
> Tried this on Questions but didn't get useful response, maybe someone
> here has a clue :

I would suggest that you would get a better response from freebsd-ports (as
it's a port related question).  I'm sorry someone on questions didn't help
you but this issue doesn't belong on -stable.

> I have just tried to upgrade my mod_php4 port to version 4.1.1. As part
> of the installation I installed XSLT support, which in turn installs
> iconv. When I try to start my apache server I now get this error :
>
> Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache/libphp4.so into server:
> /usr/local/libexec/apache/libphp4.so: Undefined symbol
> "iconv_module_entry"
>
> I tried deinstalling iconv and mod_php4, and reinstalling it, but to na
> avial. So I had to degrade mod_php4 again to get my apache running.

I just rebuilt my php-4.1.1 module (I needed to do it anyway) with XSLT,
XML, iconv, and several other things.  FWIW I get the exact same error.

Rebuilt both iconv and libiconv then rebuilt php4 again.  Same.  Wish I
could help more.

Did some searching (google is your friend) and there are currently open
PR's at php.net from other people with this same/similar problems.
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=14423

There's also an open FreeBSD PR:

Going by some of those I also noted the following in the output of
'ldconfig -r':
        130:-lgiconv.2 => /usr/local/lib/libgiconv.so.2
        171:-liconv.2 => /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so.2

Though, to be quite honest, I don't know if this is what php4 is looking
for.  I also noted this in the config.log:

/tmp/cclOFSw7.o: In function `main':
/tmp/cclOFSw7.o(.text+0x7): undefined reference to `libiconv_open'

> I have looked in the archives, and found a similar question -
> unfortunately unanswered... But I try again : Does anybody know what
> happened to either the iconv port or more likely the mod_php4 port that
> broke the dependency in some way?

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but hopefully it'll point you in
the right direction for finding a solution.  I would suggest following up
with the php.net and/or the freebsd.org PRs.  I get the feeling that php-
4.1.1 isn't properly linking to libiconv but I don't know enough to fix it.

> | Thomas Gravgaard   | "The Scarlet Pimpernel is the most       (__)  |
> | Software developer | overrated human being since Judas     \\\ <\\\>
> '',)  | | Infopaq ApS        | Iscariot won the AD 31 best disciple
> \/  \ ^| | fehaar@infopaq.dk  | competition."              Black Adder
> .\._/_)|
> |                FC København. Danske mestre 2000/2001!               |

Chris

"I'll defend to the death your right to say that, but I never said I'd
listen to it!"
     -- Tom Galloway with apologies to Voltaire