Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:05:55 -0500
From:      Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlists@HotPOP.com>
To:        tscheng@ic.sunysb.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: jumping mouse in X

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:55:08 -0400 (EDT)
tscheng@ic.sunysb.edu wrote:

> something I found in XFree86log file:
> (**) Option "Protocol" "auto"
> (**) Mouse0: Protocol: "auto"
> (**) Option "CorePointer"
> (**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/psm0"
> (**) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
> (==) Mouse0: Buttons: 3
> (II) Keyboard "Keyboard0" handled by legacy driver
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
> (II) Mouse0: SetupAuto: hw.iftype is 3, hw.model is 0
> (II) Mouse0: SetupAuto: protocol is SysMouse
> (WW) fcntl(6, O_ASYNC): Inappropriate ioctl for device
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> is this causing the trouble?
>
> Hi freebsd-er, I recently upgraded my m/board and finally get
> x-window to work again but my mouse is all very jumpy, I seem to
> lose control over it and very hard to make it stay on one position.
> I have been trying to see what people have to say on the internet.
> Something I came across is that the driver for vedio card might
> affect it. My cedio chip is ProSavageDDR K4M266, I can't run x-win
> when using original FBSD driver, but after installing a 3-rd party
> driver, I was able to get it up, and everything looked the way I
> wanted it! But just this mouse, it went crazy. It's a 2-button ps/2
> mouse, I tried "auto" or "ps/2" protocol in X config, nothing
> changed, I tried to put some moused related stuff in /etc/rc.conf,
> then I get a nice working mouse in my console, but my x-win won't
> start up because the mouse device is "busy". Any help! thanks!

No clue if that would cuase it. Try asking around on the X mailing
list.

The only time I've had this problem has been a crappy mouse, but given
it works works on console now, I think that can be ruled out. Try
setting the device as /dev/sysmouse. That iirc is the device that
moused kicks stuff out to or something like that.