Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:58:47 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi), mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd change for "cardio" and "cardmem"

In message <199907201852.MAA20790@mt.sri.com> Nate Williams writes:
: Fix for what?  What is the fix for?  Just adding keywords to fix 'buggy'
: cards is not a fix, it's (potentially) a hack to workaround bogus code
: in other parts of the system that might be easily fixed.

That isn't the case this time.  The wd.c code needs lots of work to
make its knolwedge of i/o addresses of IDE controllers be less
pervasive.

: Many of the 'fixes' in PAO were *easily* fixed with just a bit of time
: with the 'bad' cards.  Making the already difficult to understand code
: bigger and more complex with fixes for broken existing code is just
: silly.

That may be true.  However, the code lifetime for pccardd is a few
months in -current at best, so I don't see the harm.

: Now, I'm not saying that this is the case, but in the past this was very
: often the case, so allow me a bit of conservatism in not allowing every
: new feature to fix 'broken code'. :)

I can't control how you think or feel Nate. :-)  I don't see the point
in being so conservative that we continue to lack functionality that I
need for other projects.  If pccardd was going to live past the
newbus'd pccard/cardbus stuff, then I'd agree with you completely...

Warner