Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:46:04 +0930
From:      "John Edwards" <isplist@pinnacle.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Booting from twed0 ?

Hi,

I've successfully gotten FreeBSD 4.1 working on a 3ware Escalade 6000 card
for the root partition (big thanks to Mike Smith for writing the drivers),
but I can't get the system to boot automatically from it. It boots from Bios
ok, but appears to have some problem with /boot/loader, and stops at the
following message/prompt:

Manual root filesystem specification:
eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
?                  List valid disk boot devices
<empty line>       Abort manual input
mountroot>

If I enter "ufs:/dev/twed0s1e" at this point (where /stand/sysinstall ended
up putting the root partition when it was a secondary drive) it boots as
normal.

I've tried adding rootdev=/dev/twed0s1e in /boot/loader.conf but it doesn't
seem to make any difference. I've also tried making sure that /boot is also
available on /dev/twed0s1a, where I think it's getting some boot information
from.

Basically I'd like this system to bootup automatically instead of pausing at
this prompt.

Any ideas?

John Edwards