Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 12:19:48 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports and Packages Mixture

Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com> types:
> --- Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> wrote:
> > We've got "something like" apt. If there are some features from it
> > that you'd like, you need to provide more details.
> can I upgrade the whole build/RELEASE with the pkg_?

If by that you mean the base system, the answer is no, because the
base system isn't released in the form of packages. This is considered
a deficiency, and is being worked on as part of the libh project.

> Can it be simply crontabbed like:
> apt-get update && apt-get upgrade          ?

Actually, it can, and people do it. You don't use the package tools on
the base system, though.  Because of the stronger ties between the
kernel and userland in BSD, it's not as safe - at least, not unless
you rebuild and reinstall the kernel as well.

> pkg_ gives one more control and shouldn't be deprecated, but the apt
> way is much more efficient for an admin IMO.

Why? What feature does apt have that the package system is missing,
other than inclusion of the base system?

	<mike