Date:      Wed, 25 May 2005 06:37:31 -0500
From:      Jacob S <stormspotter@6Texans.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cpanel or DirectAdmin

On Wed, 25 May 2005 03:05:53 -0600
Ed Stover <estover@nativenerds.com> wrote:

> I was just wondering if any of you have had experience with either
> cpanel and directadmin on FreeBSD. If you had, then what was or is
> your experience like? Where the applications confining for what you
> could do with the server? What was your MTA with either apps and was
> it a painful process? Would you recomend either program for use across
> seperate web, email, dns, and fileservers?

I have been maintaining a server running FreeBSD 5.3 with cPanel
installed. It has worked fairly decently - but only after I disabled the
nightly upcp script in cron. :-) Previous to that, the script
occasionally crashed the server and/or updated programs like Bind
without using the proper flags at compile time, making them move to
/usr/local/bin and the init scripts stop working.

The mailer that cPanel has control over is Exim. Also this server
handles a little over 200 websites and incoming e-mail for those sites.
MySQL is done on a separate server, as is outgoing e-mail (qmail) -
neither of which cPanel has control over.

Overall, I haven't been that impressed with cPanel. But then again, I
like doing everything from the command line anyway. Unfortunately, I
have zero experience with DirectAdmin.

HTH,
Jacob