Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 19:48:11 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        Stephen Hansen <stephen@cerebralmaelstrom.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preparing for a Good Setup -- hdd partitioning

David Johnson wrote:

> Stephen Hansen wrote:
>
> >     I will be duel-booting between Win98 and the FreeBSD; I intend on
> > splitting my 10gig
> > hdd evenly between the two, I suspose.
>
> I am a firm believer of separate harddrives for each OS. But I can
> understand the dissenters... The problem you're going to encounter is
> that Win98 needs to boot from the first partition and FreeBSD needs to
> boot from below the 1024th cylinder (is this still true?). There are
> many ways around these limitations, some of which can be found in the
> multi-os document at www.freebsd.org.
>
> But if your situation is typical, I would get Partition Magic or another
> similar program, re-arrange your drive to have two small partitions and
> two large ones. The small ones will be boot partitions for Windows and
> FreeBSD, and should be both below the 1024th cylinder, and the large
> ones will hold everything else.

With LBA that means your / partition has to be located before the
8.4GB section of your HD. I have a couple of P-II 400's that the
FreeBSD slice runs over the 8.4GB location on the drive but boot just
fine. The first partition in the DOS sense is a 2GB Fat16. I actually
boot W2K from the second half of a different drive. The c:\ drive is
split into a Fat16, a UFS, and a large extended partition. The /
section of the FreeBSD slice starts in the range of 2GB to 5GB
depending on the system. My / partition is 100MB on both machines. The
FreeBSD slice is located in front of the extended partition on one
machine and after it on the other.

If you are going to run over LBA cylinder 1024, you can't have all of
your partitions (/var, /tmp, /usr, and etc.) built into your /
parition. You have to split them out. Then, your smaller / parition
will be located before cylinder 1024.

I use the NTLDR to do the booting. There are other choices. It was
already set up when I added FreeBSD to the system.

Kent

> >     I am on a p2-400mhz w/ 128megs of ram -- how large should my swap
> > partition be?
>
> For your first install (you will have others, har, har, har), just use
> the defaults for everything.
>
> Oh, and back up everything first...
>
> David

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg