Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 13:41:46 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>, "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu>, "FreeBSD questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mergemaster question

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000 08:47:37 -0700, Dan O'Connor wrote:

>Your approach is pretty much the same as mine: I review (and merge as
>necessary) files that I know I've modified, install the newer versions of
>files I know I haven't modified, and under no circumstances allow it to
>touch /etc/passwd, /etc/master.passwd, or /etc/group.

Just a quick note on /etc/group
Although rare, there may be instances when a new group is needed
by some new functionality in FreeBSD.
This would probably come up on a "Heads UP" on the lists, but if
one misses it something may not work.

I treat /etc/group like any other file I change. I do a visual
diff just to see if there is anything new, but usually do
whatever change by hand.