Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2003 06:48:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Jesse Guardiani <jesse@wingnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Extra battery causes hangs (T40p, FreeBSD 5.1/CURRENT)

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Jesse Guardiani wrote:

> Doug White wrote:

> > Are you swapping the CDROM and battery while FreeBSD is booted?
> > FreeBSD does not handle this at all and will get really upset if you
> > attempt it.

> This can be overcome on my IBM A30p by detaching the CD-ROM with
> atacontrol, suspending, removing the cdrom drive, resuming, and
> reinitializing everything.

I can do this on my Dell without suspending.  You may want to try it out
and save yourself a few extra steps.  I use atacontrol to switch between
my spare battery, LS-120, Zip250, and DVD/CD-RW bay modules regularly.  I
have just upgraded from 4-S to 5.1-R, and haven't checked functionality in
5.1 yet, but I expect it will work just fine when I'm ready to give it a
try.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"