Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 18:12:03 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        John Saunders <john.saunders@nlc.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advice on setting up a Vinum volume

On Wednesday,  3 February 1999 at 18:22:58 +1100, John Saunders wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>>> Sustained performance is much better. On my pair of Quantum 6.4GB drives
>>> they get approx 7MB/s sustained (dd if=/dev/zero of=file bs=262144
>>> count=1024). With a vinum strip of 256K in size I get sustained
>>> 12.5MB/s. Running squid on this setup I can watch the load being
>>> distributed by running (systat -iostat 1)
>>
>> Interesting.  Which version of FreeBSD is this?  Are you using the
>> standard vinum, which includes slow debugging aids, or have you
>> compiled them out?
>
> This is done with RELENG_3 cvsupped about a week ago. I did a recent cvsup
> and noticed a lot of vinum changes, so it was prior to the lastest
> round of changes. Particularly the vinum_slices -> vinum_disks change
> bit me (I use rc.conf.local for host config).
>
> The machine is a PII-350MHz/100MHz bus with 128MB SDRAM so I think any CPU
> intensive debug would be dealt with rather quickly.

There's a certain truth to that.  Some of the debug stuff (like the
memory allocation) is painfully slow, but it's probably still faster
than a disk.

You might like to try to change the parameters in the Makefiles
(/usr/src/sbin/vinum/Makefile and
/usr/src/sys/modules/vinum/Makefile).  Remove the parameter
-DVINUMDEBUG from both of them, do make all install, and see how
things look then.

>>> although vinum stats show that one drive seems to be used about 20%
>>> more than the other.
>>
>> I've noticed this too.  There's no way this can be a vinum problem (in
>> other words, you should see exactly the same distribution when using
>> ccd).  I suspect that it's an incompatibility between ufs and the
>> stripe size.  I suspect that you may end up with all super blocks on
>> one drive.  It would be interesting to calculate what stripe size
>> would balance the cylinder groups across the drives.
>
> Is there anything wrong with a strip size that is not a power of 2?

Not that I know of :-)  It would be a bug if it were.

> Although it still would have to be a multiple of the block size.

Right, everything's a multiple of the block size.  It also needs to be
a fraction of the volume size.

> On Linux the mke2fs command has an option to specify the stripe size
> and it does some tweaks to avoid putting super blocks on the same
> drive.

This is new to me.  I didn't know that ext2fs knew anything about
striping.

> With the ufs 32MB cylinder groups I woudln't be surprised if if all
> super blocks were on the same disk. Anyone for prime number stripe
> sizes?

Try it and tell me :-)

Greg