Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 12:24:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <bowden@cs.odu.edu>
To:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, nawaz921@cs.uidaho.edu, chuckr@glue.umd.edu, freebsd-chat@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editors

On Thu, 23 May 1996, Paul Richards wrote:

> issue). I don't understand this burning desire by some people to make
> Unix accessible to absolutely anyone. It is not a newbie friendly OS
> because it *IS* for hackers and developers, if you start down the road
> of trying to change that you'll end up with NT :-)  There's nothing
> worse than an unix advocate who thinks it's the greatest OS there is and
> everyone should use it. It's not, it's very good for particular tasks,
> Windows is the better option for a lot of others.

I think you're wrong here.  NT is convoluted and painfull.  It's as bad
as UNIX in some ways.  However, it will be microsloth's only os in about
three years.  I think we use what we're comfortable with.  If we had all
started on UNIX, DOS/Windows would be unknown territory, and the
'clueless' user wouldn't go near it.  I think we should all have been
weened on UNIX anyway.

Jamie

I have my finger on the pulse of the planet.