Date:      Sat, 01 Sep 2001 16:19:04 +0930 (CST)
From:      kibbet@knfpub.com
To:        Adam Kranzel <adam@alameda.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Kernel builds failing

Hi Adam, Søren  (CC'd to sos@freebsd.org)

On 31-Aug-01 Adam Kranzel wrote:
> Hi...
>
> For the last two days, my kernel builds have been failing with:
>
> linking kernel.debug
> ata-all.o: In function `ataioctl':
> /usr/src/sys/dev/ata/ata-all.c(.text+0x791): undefined reference to
> `atapi_queue           _cmd'
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CHESHIRE.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
>

> Any ideas?
>
> thanks
>  -Adam

I had this problem to, I went for a snoop and found the following;

From my kenel config file;

device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
#device         atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
#device         atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
#device         atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives

I don't have an ata cd, floppy or tape in the machine so I
commented them out - I'm assuming you've done the same.

From /usr/src/sys/conf/files;

dev/ata/atapi-all.c     optional atapicd
dev/ata/atapi-all.c     optional atapifd
dev/ata/atapi-all.c     optional atapist

the atapi-all.c file contains atapi_queue_cmd(),
in other words, with the above configuration, atapi-all.c
is never compiled, so the function isn't there.

Workaround: add one of the devices to get it compiled, ata[cd,fd,st]

Søren, looks like your last ata-all.c commit has broken this,

sos         2001/08/30 02:47:17 PDT   Modified files:
    sys/dev/ata          ata-all.c
  Log:
  Add support for sending ATAPI commands via ioctl.

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.118     +42 -1     src/sys/dev/ata/ata-all.c

Cheers,