Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:42:19 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        dochawk@psu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple versions of ports somehow installed.

> From: dochawk@psu.edu
> Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:08:06 -0500
> Sender: hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu
>
> a bit more that I've found.
>
> fac13ttyp1:hawk>ls -l /usr/ports/INDEX
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1875832 Nov 19 09:48 /usr/ports/INDEX
>
> This hasn't been touched since Nov 19, despite repeated attempts at
> portsdb -Uu
>
> Also, according to the manpage, INDEX.db and INDEX.rbo should be here.
> They're not.
>

> Shouldn't the missing files and inability to do anything cause an error?

Wow. It looks like something REALLY messed things up on your
system. Your analysis matches mine.

The INDEX file looks OK. It should not be updated under normal
circumstances. But you do need the other files which SHOULD be created
by "portsdb -u" and I can't imagine what is failing.

You might want to re-install ruby and then portupgrade, but that's
just a shot in the dark. I suspect that you might have a current
portupgrade and an old ruby.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)