Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 10:54:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.interworks.org>
To:        gswanton@biw.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: atapi1.0: unknown phase

 George Swanton wrote:

> Attempting install 2.2.6R from CD  (El-Crappo Cheapo 'Acer' 24x IDE/ATAPI)
> Took
> shotgun approach of disabling practically everything in kernel config and
> drive is
> recognized but am experiencing hangs.
>
> During boot -
>
> wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
> wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE 24X MAXIMUM/U40M>, removable,
> dma, iordy
> atapi1.0: unknown phase
> npx0 flags 0x1 on motherboard
> npx0:int 16 interface
> Intel Pentium F00F detected, installing workaround
>
> I've had it hang at this point as well as 89% into the bin dist copy. F00F
> shouldn't be
> relevant but 'unknown phase' looks suspicious. The archives mention it only
> superficially.
> Is this a 'Bad Thing' or do I have to look elsewhere for scapegoats?
>
> Thanks for your help
> gps
>
> BTW: Have located 'dummynet' package described in previous reply. Looks
> promising.
> Thanks very much.

You can try one of the latest snapshot boot disks from releng22.freebsd.org.
There was at least one change to the atapi driver, but I think this only
was for the case with two atapi devices hugn off the same controller.

I had to install from a DOS partition because of a similar problem with
my Atapi CD-ROM.  I [2~[2~

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org