Date:      Sun, 08 Mar 1998 15:06:21 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: page fault while in kernel mode (-current from this morning &&  softupdates)

> The funny part is that I can "make world", "cvs update" and "ctm" without
> problem and these stress the filesystems quite a bit compared to
> procmail...

Well, try removing a big directory while doing a make world .
I usually just do make world and routinely just untar and remove
a large directory -- a few thousand files like X.  Usually, I can
crash the system in the first hour or so.

There are other problems which Julian and Dyson are well aware
of and they are working on it.

About the posted panic, we need to evaluate why the system is generating
a panic when the buffer allocation scheme used in soft update is supposed
to return a valid buffer:
In /sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_softdep.c:
static void
setup_allocindir_phase2(bp, ip, aip)

   MALLOC(newindirdep, struct indirdep *, sizeof(struct indirdep),
                        M_INDIRDEP, M_WAITOK);
                newindirdep->ir_list.wk_type = D_INDIRDEP;
                newindirdep->ir_state = ATTACHED;
                LIST_INIT(&newindirdep->ir_deplisthd);
                LIST_INIT(&newindirdep->ir_donehd);
                newindirdep->ir_saveddata = (ufs_daddr_t *)bp->b_data;
                newindirdep->ir_savebp =
                    getblk(ip->i_devvp, bp->b_blkno, bp->b_bcount, 0, 0);
                bcopy((caddr_t)newindirdep->ir_saveddata,
                    newindirdep->ir_savebp->b_data, bp->b_bcount);

	Amancio