Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 16:23:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <hamby@aris.jpl.nasa.gov>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        XFree86@xfree86.org
Subject:   How to type French characters into Netscape?

(I'm CC'ing this question to FreeBSD-hackers as well as XFree86 because it
seems to be more of a FreeBSD/Netscape related question now that I've
figured out the XFree86 angle)

Thanks to those who responded to my initial query, now I am able to type
the French accented characters in XFree86 (instructions are given below).
But now I have a different problem:  FreeBSD Netscape doesn't support
the accented characters!  I'm using the Netscape-3.01 port under
FreeBSD-current and XFree86 3.2.  When I paste, for example, an é into
Netscape, I get nothing, when I try to type it (<right-alt> + ' + e), I
get 'e, which isn't right either.

Is there something I can figure to make Netscape's text-entry boxes 8-bit
clean? Is it because it's an X11R5 binary?  Would using the Linux version
of Netscape help?  If I can't figure this out, I'm just going to use my
BeBox web browser because this X configuration nonsense has wasted too
much of my time already!

I was successfully able to map the Right Alt key to Multi_key, by changing
the line in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86 from:

    xkb_symbols         { include "us(pc105)"           };

    xkb_symbols         { include "us(pc101compose)"    };

This changes the Right ALT key to work like the Compose key on a Sun,
which is what I wanted in the first place.  In fact, if it wasn't for
Netscape (or for that matter "tcsh") not being 8-bit clean, I probably
would've figured this out a while ago.  Any suggestions on getting
Netscape to work would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

|Jake Hamby| Ask me about Unix, FreeBSD, Solaris, The Tick, BeOS, or NT, eh? |
"This space intentionally left blank."