Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:35:11 -0400
From:      Michael Jaskowiak <skovian@interpath.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   questions on ps

Hello,

        I mailed this message before, but I forgot to put an example of
the outpur of the 'ps x' command from a normal computer.  Sorry about
that.  Here is the complete message as it was send before with the
addition of the normal server's 'ps x' output.

I have looked at the man pages and the on-line documentation, but have
not found an answer so I hope you folks can give me some guidance.  Here
is the hardware configuration.  Intel Celeron 333, 384 Megs RAM, 3Com
3C900B LAN, Curtis 350 Meg Flash drive.  The flash drive has a small
load of freebsd 3.1 on it.  What it does is to boot into a MFS and not
use the drive at all.  I have complete functionality as far as telnet,
ftp, logging, and other services go, but I have a problem with the ps
command.  Here is the output of 'ps x':

# ps x
  PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
    0  ??  DLs    0:00.00  (swapper)
    1  ??  Ss     0:00.00  (init)
    2  ??  DL     0:00.00  (pagedaemon)
    3  ??  DL     0:00.00  (syncer)
   10  ??  ILs    0:00.00  (mount_mfs)
   33  ??  Is     0:00.00  (adjkerntz)
  119  ??  Is     0:00.00  (inetd)
  122  ??  Is     0:00.00  (cron)
  167  ??  Ss     0:00.00  (telnetd)
  181  ??  S      0:00.00  (getty)
  171  p0  S      0:00.00  (sh)
  182  p0  R+     0:00.00  (ps)
  166  d3  Is+    0:00.00  (getty)
  177  d4- S<Es+   0:00.00  (login)

Here is the output from a normal server's 'ps x' command.  There are
identical services running on both computers.

# ps x
  PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
    0  ??  DLs    0:00.00  (swapper)
    1  ??  Ss     0:00.01 /sbin/init --
    2  ??  DL     0:00.00  (pagedaemon)
    3  ??  DL     0:00.00  (vmdaemon)
    4  ??  DL     0:00.07  (syncer)
   96  ??  Is     0:00.07 syslogd
  138  ??  Is     0:00.03 inetd
  141  ??  Ss     0:00.02 cron
  211  ??  Ss     0:00.03 telnetd
  220  ??  S      0:00.01 /usr/libexec/getty std.9600 ttyd4
  216  p0  S      0:00.02 su (sh)
  221  p0  R+     0:00.00 ps -x
  189  v0  Is+    0:00.03 -sh (sh)
  190  v1  Is+    0:00.01 /usr/libexec/getty Pc ttyv1
  191  v2  Is+    0:00.01 /usr/libexec/getty Pc ttyv2

As you can see, this one has better detail.  Am I missing something?
Please let me know what I can do.  Thank you for your help.

Michael