Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:00:07 -0700
From:      "jdow" <jdow@earthlink.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: spamassassin

From: "justins" <justin@justnosweat.net>

> I`ve installed spamassassin rules on my sentmailserver and i am trying to
> filter my mail in order to pick out some spam.
> The spamd process is running only it doesn`t add anything to my mail
> heather so procmail can`t forward it to the caughtspam folder.
>
> How do i start spamassassin in order to filter my incomming mail.
> Anyone.....

You want spamd running as a daemon.

Then you want lines like this in your procmailrc
:0
* < 500000
| /usr/bin/spamc -t 150 -u $LOGNAME

The third line is my personal filter to prevent spamassassin triggering
on the SpamAssassin list. Any spam there is FOOD for the anti-spam rules
folks. {^_-}

This will add markups, probably the default markups.

http://www.spamassassin.org/ is a starting source for information.
The Wiki link points to the (admittedly pathetic) online documentation.
This also has a link to the users mailing list. You're certainly
welcome there.

http://www.rulesemporium.com/ is a nice place to get pre-canned sets
of effective rules to supplement the stock rules.

Other help is found with man spamassassin, etc. Also check out man
or perldoc for Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf for configuration help.

{^_^}