Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:33:38 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mail.theinternet.com.au>
To:        Shawn Workman <shawn@holdenz.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sharing memory between processes.

+----[ Shawn Workman ]---------------------------------------------

| Hello,
|     I am coming up against a road block in porting an application from
|     a win32 platform to FreeBSD.  The problem I am having is due to the
|     fact that FreeBSD protects it's memory more that NT for example.
|
|     Is there a way to give a client app access to another apps memory?
|     the way it is done in the win32 app is to basically have the client
|     check for the existance of the server if it exists it grabs a pointer
|     to it's memory and therefore gains access to all the functions that
|     the server has in memory as well as data structures.
|
|     Is there anyway to do this using FreeBSD 4.0 Stable?

You could ask the server for it, via e.g. RPC calls, or simple sockets.

You could mmap it to/from a file and load up the current state from
the file if it exists (or share FDs if the server forks the client).

|     I have used the shm* functions and from what I see I am limited to
|     the number of shared memory pointers I can have.

Do you want to share what the server has in a read-only fashion,
or you want all processes to get their own copy, or you want read-write
to all processes?

|     I would really appreciate any help that could be provided here.
|     I have been looking at the possibility of an lkm but hear that this
|     can cause the system to become unstable..

Development might be fun, but, once its done it should be fine.

--
Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet|  P:+61 7 3870 0066   | Andrew Milton
The Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd          |  F:+61 7 3870 4477   |