Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 08:21:26 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jlm@caamora.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail and freebsd v2.2-stable

hello all ..

my subject line says it all, i've just installled (downloaded,
compiled and installed) sendmail on several freebsd machines,
all running freebsd v2.2-stable.

it all works very well fro teh most part .. i get a funny error
when i use teh mail.local (during teh compile sendmail warms
about it being not compatible) not being able to deliver mail
to a local user. the short version is that sendmail(mail.local)
cannot write to /var/mail/userid .. from memory teh error
message goes like this,

blah 35 seaholm mail.local: lockmailbox /var/mail/userid failed; error code 75

sorry, i can bearlly see teh screen and reading it is not a
possibility ater using it fro some8 hours to solve this little
ridle.

i've tried all teh stuff suggested in teh sendmail docs, as
regards file/directory permissions etc, a few .mc file tricks,
i've gotten to the stage where it look like i need to tackle
teh c code and start tricking up teh compiler .. something that
i am not very skilled at doing (lmy limits are reached just
after teh make, make depend, and make install toolkit are
exhausted.

if anyone has installed sendmail v8.11.1 and gotten it to work
i'd like to talk to you and see how i can get mine to behave it
self .. at the moment i've my mail system working by replacing
teh mail.local from the 8.11.1 sendmail with the one i was
using previously, that is snedmail v8.8.7 the purpose of this
exercise was to get the security side of things updated and i'd
been discovedr by spam relayers and have about 20 or so
articles i captured beofre i pulled teh pin on my email system.

one thing, please no "upgrade freebsd to v4 or more, my old
hardware (intel 386 with 8 mb dram works well with v2, from
what i've heard v3 and beyound is not suitible for 'older'
computers).

please excuse my typing, i'm have a hard time seeing the screen
at teh moment.

regards amd best wishes.

jonathan