Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:43:51 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADSUP:  Hardware notes reorg

--------------enig6D5A3721C804B81DDB473FAF

As threatened about a month and a half ago, I've rearranged the hardware
notes on CURRENT to coalesce the various MD (machine-dependent) versions
into a single MI (machine-independent) version.  This is analogous to
the reorg I did for the release notes about a month prior to that.

It's still a little rough around the edges but as far as I can tell
everything works (heh).

Translation teams:  Presuming that you want to track this
reorganization, you'll need to set the HWNOTES_MI Makefile variable in
your hardware/Makefile in order to get the auto-generated device
listings correct.  (Until you do this, the hardware notes translations
should build exactly as they did before.)

Once all of the active translations have caught up, I want to nuke the
backward compatibility goop that was required to make this work.  Thanks
to simon@ for some good ideas and help with this part.

The recent commit messages for
src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/hardware/article.sgml, as well as
src/release/doc/share/misc/man2hwnotes.pl rev. 1.14, have more details.

Bruce.

PS.  It appears that there are a number of translations of the release
documentation that aren't actively maintained in FreeBSD CVS (maybe
they're maintained externally, which is fine).  Unlike (say)
translations of the handbook, documents such as the release notes get
stale really quickly.  I'd like to encourage translation teams to reap
unmaintained translations of the release documentation...a quick pass
hints that de_DE, fr_FR, ja_JP, and ru_RU are potential candidates for th=
is.