Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 1996 19:14:12 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        licau@ebs06.eb.uah.edu (Luis Verissimo)
Cc:        pascal@pascal.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Unexplained segfaults in 2.1.0-RELEASE

Luis Verissimo stands accused of saying:

> I have a 486DX4-100 machine running FreeBSD-2.1R. I experienced the same
> problems. I had to disable both the internal and external caches, of my
> machine. It then worked find.
>
> I have another 486DX2-66 older machine, that keeps getting those signals,
> even with both caches disabled.
>
> Can anybody tell me where is the list of machines that are currently
> running  FreeBSD with no problems?

This is (obviously, if you actually think about it for a second) a totally
impossible question.  Let's see, there are perhaps something of the order
of a hundred or so distinct CPU variants that can run FreeBSD.  Perhaps
a thousand or so major motherboard chipsets, several tens of significantly
different disk controllers, several hundred different video cards and so on.

Now take each number, one after another, and multiply them all together.

This is the total number of possible PC configurations that there are.  Let's
assume that we were to build one of each of these hundred million or so
combinations, and do a 'make world' on each to check them.  If we assume
that the systems are reasonably fast (not all true 8) this will take
perhaps 10 hours each.  So now we have a billion testing hours required,
or 114,000 testing-years.

Do you understand yet why what you ask is impossible?

Now, if you said "this is my hardware", and listed everything you have,
including the CPU manufacturer and motherboard chipset, it's possible that
someone will know something, and will tell you.  If not, you can add your
two systems to the grouop that FreeBSD does _not_ work on due to
fundamental hardware problems.

However, it could just be that you have faulty memory, and your motherboard
is actually fine, or your CPU could be faulty...

> Luis Verissimo

]] "wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai                   [[