Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:09:31 -0400
From:      "T." <freebsd-questions@lists.goldenpath.org>
To:        Gilles <gilles.ganault@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anonymizer tool like Tor?

T. wrote:
> I just enable the control port locally and telnet to it.
> To get new circuits, on the control port (assuming you haven't set any
> authentication):
>
> AUTHENTICATE        SIGNAL NEWNYM

Typo, that should be with a line break, obviously:

AUTHENTICATE

(you'll get a response, then).

SIGNAL NEWNYM

(any time you need new circuits, though you may get into a rate limiting
issues. Don't do it just for fun.)

I think a command line utility is definitely in order.
A remote control utility might be nice too. I found some mention that
you're supposed to be able to use Vidalia to remote control a server
with, but its obviously not designed for that and when I tried it did
not work.

Also, I'm pretty sure you do not want other Tor's running in your
network (vidialia doesn't go into control mode unless you "turn tor on"
requiring a path to local tor binary, thereby running tor) or on the
client machines, or else you're greatly increasing your susceptibility
to being identified via statistical approaches. Because, your tor
traffic could be doing two bounces within your own network, then just
connecting to an exit node.