Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 1999 16:19:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        jhs@FreeBSD.ORG (Julian Stacey)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sea driver - anyone porting from 2.2.8 to 3.?/current ?

[ I think Mike, Warner and Wilko have all said good things, but I think I
should say something as well. ]

Julian Stacey wrote...
> Anyone thought about porting the sea driver from 2.2.8 to 3.* ?
> ( sea adapter is for Seagate ST01/ST02, Future Domain TMC-885, TMC-950 SCSI )
>
> I upgraded a system from 2.2.8 to 3.2 only to find support for the controller
> had been removed :-(	Now wasting time going back to 2.2.8 !
>
> If customers or users of other OS's had been watching, they would have had a
> good laugh at FreeBSD; It's hard to convince people:
> 	 "FreeBSD is nice, you should try it"
> when a valid response is
> 	"No Thanks - Maybe they'll feel free to abandon my hardware too"
>
> I guess SEA was deleted in the move to CAM, but that's not a justification,
> just a temporary excuse, & 2.2.8 to 3.2 is beyond temporary !

All I can say is "where have you been for the past couple of years"??

More than a year before CAM was merged into the tree Justin and I made it
clear that some SCSI adapters would not be supported.  The length of time
that those adapters would go unsupported would vary based on developer time
to re-do the driver and developer time would probably be spent on cards
that most people wanted to be supported.

So it has been clear, probably from around the summer/fall of 1997 time
frame that we would lose support for a number of cards when the CAM
switchover happened.

Believe it or not, you are the first person I've heard asking for the sea
driver.  That puts it way down on the list of things to do.

> I'm not up to merging sea + cam, but I'll happily test any code anyone can lash
> up, & if no one else has a card, I can even find a spare card ....

There isn't any code that I know of, and isn't likely to be until someone
with the:
	- knowledge
	- hardware
	- documentation
	- motivation

to do the driver shows up.  I don't know of anyone with all four of those,
and until someone pops up with all of the above, the driver won't happen.

The following drivers are more important, IMO, than the sea driver:

 - aic (Adpatec 6260/6360)
 - BusLogic Flashpoint
 - uha (UltraStor)

We've just recently gotten the AMD 53c974 driver cleaned up and checked
into the tree, so that one is off the list now.  (it still needs error
recovery work)  Many thanks to the guys at Tekram for getting it ported to
CAM.  (And thanks to Justin for substantially cleaning it up.)

People ask about the Flashpoint driver on a regular basis, and I suspect
that that may be the first one of the three above to get done.  (At this
point, I know someone is going to mail me and ask about that driver.
Don't.  I'm tired of anwering questions about it, and you'll hear about it
when something gets done on it.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry